CBSA Announces Effective Dates for eManifest House BL Filing Requirement for Freight Forwarders and NVOCC’s
Dear Valued ONE Customers,
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) recently announced an update on the implementation dates of the eManifest House BL filing requirement for Freight Forwarders and NVOCC’s
Under the eHBL program, Freight Forwarders and NVOCC’s must transmit advance secondary data for cargo imported into or moving in-transit through Canada.
● On June 6, 2020, the CBSA will promote the final piece of system logic and edits. At this time, the full scope of eHBL requirements will be in effect for all FF/NVO shipments, including back-to-back shipments.
● The CBSA will allow a 6-month period of transition before the eHBL data set is mandatory. During this time, penalties for non-compliance will not be issued and the CBSA will work closely with freight forwarders on corrective measures.
The general requirements are as follows:
● Freight Forwarders/NVOCC's must obtain a CBSA issued 8000 series carrier code (a four-character code that begins with an 8).
● Freight Forwarders/NVOCC's will be required to transmit within the current 24HR Advance Manifesting time frames:
o Advance House Bill data must be electronically transmitted to CBSA using the eHBL data set for import, in-bond and in-transit shipments.
o House BL Close message set to CBSA to indicate all eHBLs have been transmitted to CBSA.
o Shipments that will FROB over a Canadian port must be submitted to CBSA using the Supplementary Cargo data set.
● Freight Forwarders/NVOCC's can transmit advance House Bill data using either an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) method, CBSA's eManifest Web Portal or by using a 3rd party service provider.
For more information, please see CBSA’s D-Memo Regulation on eHBL (#17-22, 26-29, 43-109)
CBSA FAQ : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/eservices/faq-eng.html
All Freight Forwarders/NVOCC's are urged to immediately investigate and take the necessary steps to ensure their ability to comply with this requirement.
Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s should contact CBSA with any questions about implementation.
We thank you for your business and look forward to continuing serving your global transportation needs.
Ocean Network Express (North America) Inc.
To download this advisory, please click here.